Library Borrowing Policy & Fines For:
Affiliate Borrowers (researchers, instructors, and employees from affiliated institutions)
Reciprocal Borrowers (visiting students/faculty/staff and traveling USask students/faculty/staff)
External Borrowers (members of the public, unaffiliated with USask or partner institutions)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Undergraduate student library cards expire on Aug 31 of the current academic year.
- Graduate student library cards expire on Sept 30 of the current academic year.
- Faculty and staff library cards expire at the end of their term of employment.
- Affiliates' library cards expire either 1 year from date of issue or at the end of their term of appointment.
- Alumni library cards expire 1 year from date of issue.
- External borrowers' library cards expire 1 year from date of issue.
To renew or re-activate your library card, Ask Us.
- Report a lost card to the library immediately. We can deactivate your lost card to prevent someone else from using it.
- Lost USask ID Cards (students, faculty, and staff) need to be replaced at the Bookstore.
- For lost or damaged library-issued cards (external borrowers and affiliates), Ask Us for assistance.
Check your current loans, due dates, and renew items through:
- My Library Account on the library website.
- My Library Account in PAWS, or
- Catalogue Login and then view “Checkouts”
Library items can be renewed twice. Please note: if your item has been recalled (“Requested for Pickup”) by another user, you will not be able to renew that item, and you will need to return it to the library by the original due date or 7 days from the recall date, whichever is soonest.
A due date beside an item in the catalogue indicates it is currently checked out.
If you would like to borrow an item that is currently checked out:
- Click on the REQUEST ITEM FOR PICKUP button in the catalogue and select your preferred library location, or “Distance Learner” if you are set up for Distance and Distributed Library Services (DDLS).
- The current borrower will receive a recall notice to return the item within 7 days.
- You will receive an email when the item is available. Pick it up at your selected library location before the date in your notification email, otherwise it will go to the next person who has also placed a hold on that item or back on the shelf.
- Items that you have signed out may be requested by another user. If this happens, a recall notice will be sent to your USask email address. If your original due date is more than 7 days away, a new due date will the assigned to the items included in the email. If your original due date is less than 7 days away, you must return them by the original due date. Renewals are unavailable for items that have been recalled.
- If you keep any recalled item past its due date, late fines will accrue at the rate of $2/day per item.
- It is your responsibility to return recalled items by the assigned due date. If you are unable to return items to one of our libraries or through the Murray Library Loading Dock (open 24/7), then please send them through the mail. Our mailing address is:
University Library, Circulation Unit
University of Saskatchewan
3 Campus Drive
Saskatoon, SK. S7N 5A4
- If you have questions about items you have borrowed that have been recalled, please Ask Us.
The University Library has eliminated late fines for most library items. You are still expected to return items on time so we can make sure everyone has access to the resources they need. There are a few types of materials that will result in fines if they are returned late:
- Recalled items – if an item is recalled by another library user through the "Request Item for Pickup" button, a recall notice will be sent to your USask email address. If your original due date is more than 7 days away, a new due date will be assigned to the items included in the email. If your original due date is less than 7 days away, you must return them by the original due date. Renewals are unavailable for items that have been recalled. Recalled items returned after their due date will accrue late fines at a rate of $2 per day up to a maximum of $50 per item. If you have questions about item you have borrowed that have been recalled, please Ask Us.
- Interlibrary Loans - Late ILL items accrue fines at a rate of $5 per day up to a maximum of $100 per item.
- Lost, Damaged, or Missing Items - If you lose or damage library materials you are responsible for the cost of replacing the item. If the lost item has been recalled by another borrower and has accrued late fines you will be responsible for these late fines as well. Report lost or damaged items right away to avoid additional late fines.
*If you have fines of $30 or more in your library account, your borrowing privileges are automatically suspended and you will not be able to register for classes, graduate, or receive marks and transcripts.